Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Shuttle to Tat - Resurrecting an Old Pattern

I saw this really cool idea of Chris Hinton's to suspend a tatted motif in epoxy in order to create a shuttle with it - the important links are here (forum) and here (shop).

That reminded me I had designed a shuttle pattern way back in 1998 (I hadn't tatted this pattern in a while and had kind of forgotten about it). As I remember, back when the Tat Chat group was in existence we were trying to come up with a pattern for a "tatted shuttle" and this was my contribution.  I reworked the pattern slightly since then and have posted it here.  If you are interested in getting one of those cool shuttles and would like to use this pattern for your tatting, feel free.  There are also other  shuttle-shaped patterns available on their site.


Two shuttles, wound in the continuous thread method.  I use the method of front side/back side tatting.  In size 80 thread, the motif measures 2" x 1".

Pattern Key:
R          ring
Ch        chain
p           picot
+           joining picot
vsp       very small picot
lp          long picot
RW      reverse work

Shuttle #1
Cloverleaf
R1  6 p 4 p 2.
R2  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 6 vsp 2 lp 2 vsp 6 p 2.
R3  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 4 vsp 6. RW.

Ch 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.

Cloverleaf
R4  6 + (to last vsp of R3) 4 p 2.
R5  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 6 + (to 2nd vsp of R2) 2 + (to lp of R2) 2 vsp 6 p 2.
R6  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 4 p 6. RW.

Ch 2 + (to p of previous chain) 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.
R7  3 vsp 3. RW.
Ch 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 3. RW.
Cloverleaf
R8  3 p 2 p 2.
R9  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 3 + (to vsp of R7) 3 + (to 2nd p of R6) 2 p 2 p 3 vsp 3 p 2.
R10  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 2 p 3. RW.
Shuttle #2 
R11  3 + (to p of previous chain) 12 p 12 p 3. Do not RW.

Shuttle #1
Ch 3 + (to last p of previous R) 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.
R12  3 + (to 2nd vsp of R9). RW.
Ch 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.
Cloverleaf
R13  6 + (to 5th p of R9) 4 p 2.
R14  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 6 + (to 2nd vsp of R5) 2 + (to lp of R2) 2 vsp 6 p 2.
R15  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 4 vsp 6. RW.

Ch 2 + (to p of previous chain) 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.

Cloverleaf
R16  6 + (to last p of previous R) 4 p 2.
R17  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 6 + (to 2nd vsp of R14) 2 + (to lp of R2) 2 +(to 1st vsp of R2) 6 p 2.
R18  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 4 p 6. RW.

Ch 2 + (to p of previous chain) 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.
R19  3 vsp 3. RW.
Ch 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 3. RW.

Cloverleaf
R20  3 p 2 p 2.
R21  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 3 + (to vsp of R19) 3 + (to last p of R18) 2 p 2 + (to 1st p 0f R1) 3 vsp 3 p 2.
R22  2 + (to last p of previous ring) 2 p 3. RW.

Shuttle #2 
R23  3 + (to p of previous chain) 12 p 12 p 3. Do not RW.

Shuttle #1
Ch 3 + (to last p of previous R) 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2. RW.
R24  3 + (to 2nd vsp of R21). RW.
Ch 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 p 2 + (to 1st p of the 1st Ch) 2.  Tie off ends at base of first cloverleaf.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is going to look so cool in the resin shuttle, Elizabeth! I can't wait to put my own designs and lace in Chris Hinton's new Resin shuttles either! :D
~TattingChic ♥

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern, Elizabeth! It's wonderful!

Cindy said...

That is a beautiful shuttle motif for the new shuttles! Thanks for sharing your pattern.

John said...

Ooohh. I like this!. I'll be using this.
j.

Anonymous said...

Ooo..I love it and will be using this for my shuttle!! Thanks for sharing it!

Lelia said...

beautiful! thx for sharing : )

Kathy Niklewicz said...

As soon as I saw this photo on your post, I recognized your shuttle pattern from 'back when!' In fact I can see the one I tatted years ago (my printout is Nov. 1999) by simply looking over at my coffee table, as the tatted shuttle has a place of honor in a special oval frame there!

I tatted it back then in size 12 gold Perle cotton (matches my living room decor).

I see you're using size 80 here, which will fit the dimensions for the epoxy shuttles, and I can see where some of the modifications are.

It's a wonderful pattern, and I plan to tat it for an epoxy shuttle. I know I'll be challenged with size 80 and front side/back side!

Even though I prefer to use bobbin shuttles, it will be so 'cool' to have a shuttle with one's own tatted lace encapsulated in the shuttle itself.

Thanks so very much for sharing this great pattern - again!!!

Typstatting said...

That is a great pattern thanks for sharing. Love your shuttle and the colour as well!

Unknown said...

Outstanding design. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see this motif in a finished shuttle.

Josie Passell said...

This is a very ellegant shuttle motif, thank you so much for sharing the pattern.
happy tatting
Josie

Tanvisha said...

I have not made this as I am a beginner tatter so not sure how it will work out. But I am thinking this will also make a cool barrette/hair clip cover. Thank you for sharing free patterns. great blog.