Thursday, August 19, 2010

Not Quite the Way I Planned It.

Some ideas just do not turn out like you envisioned them.  This is one of those projects.  Over the weekend I visited the Eagle's Mere, PA Art and Craft Show to contact a particular artist who's work I was interested in combining with my own.  I'll share more about that in a later blog post when I actually get something put together.  Anyway, I bought a pair of her earrings and since I was planning on using only her handmade beads in my work, thought I might experiment a little with the really cool ear wires the beads were originally attached to.


I got out Jon Yusoff's "Tatting with Rings" to remind myself how to tat onto the wire and away I went.  I had a great time designing these and I love the way they look but unfortunately they are not practical.  In order to get them in your ears you have to be really, really careful that you don't squash the tatting as you manipulate the wire into your earlobe and as you are trying to fasten the ear wire as well (you end up having to hold your fingers right on the tatting itself as you put them on). So, while I don't mind and know how to take the kind of care necessary to wear these and enjoy them, the design won't work  for most customers.  For now, I'll just keep going and do some more designing with rings and wire.  These go in my own jewelry box to enjoy (yay)!

11 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

They're gorgeous! But, I can see what you mean. After watching some of the maneuvering I've seen my daughters go through to put in a pair of earrings, I'm guessing they'd be impractical for many people.

Gina said...

You could use the same design on a wire that dangles from the ear wire. Might look entirely different though.

Carolivy said...

These are totally gorgeous! I wouldn't mind having to "play" to get that kind of look!
Hugs
Carol

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Yes these are really nice looking! I wonder if there is a way to keep the tatting from bunching up...like maybe a crimp bead or something?

Unknown said...

Very nice"""

Agnieszka Winnicka said...

Gorgeous!!! I wouldn't mind playing with them while putting them on. They look awesome!!

Fox said...

You are right - but they are gorgeous!
Fox : )

tattrldy said...

I,too, can see the inherent problems with these. They do look very nice!:)

Unknown said...

I love these earrings. I can see that once they get them in their ears, they will know how to manipulate them after that. I have a pair of wire earrings that are very difficult to put in my ears, but I love them so I just "work with them."

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I was thinking the same thing as Mad Mad Potter, perhaps trying a crimp bead to see if it keeps the tatting from moving around?

I'm also sure that if you put a warning on the Etsy listing, that your customers would still buy.

Aggie said...

Wow, your things are so beautiful!Love the way you're making all of these. Good work!
All the best, Aggie.

This is the address of my blog: www.szydelkoagusi.blogspot.com