Sunday, October 3, 2010

Darn Scanner

My old scanner never had any problems with objects that weren't quite flat.  I just laid a nice piece of paper over them and didn't close the lid.  They turned out really nice.  Not so with the new scanner.  Flat things are OK but if I have too many large or thick beads, I seem to get a funny halo effect around the thick area.  I have played with the resolution, the brightness, the backgrounds.   Finally I turned off all the lights in the room and tried to scan.  That met with interesting results.  And a clear view of just how dusty my scanner bed was.  So I turned on the dust removal tool which removed the dust but now I see a fingerprint!  Oops.  I'll have to take care of that before the next scan.  This piece still needs to be washed and blocked and have a clasp added.


Integral to this necklace is the central polymer clay piece I mentioned in an earlier post.  I saw the artist's work online and went to go see her in person back in August.  What incredible detail exists in each of her pieces.  I love tiny work myself but this just boggles my mind - I mean, look at the clay around the edge that looks like a little ribbon woven in and out of the piece. 


This is a vintage pattern (circa 1924) from Priscilla Tatting Book No. 3 - one of my favorite old books. 

Back to the scanner issue - I really do not know what I am going to do about this because I'm not really crazy about the black background.  It's not terrible, and the detail is good, but I'd much rather have my pretty papers. I'm not even sure if there is a way of resolving the issue.  I know my old scanner didn't give me the halo effect unless I closed the lid, so I'm not even sure where to start trying to correct the problem.  I'm pretty bummed at the moment.  Anyone have any ideas?

15 comments:

Krystle said...

You might try again with a camera. I use a little point and shoot digital for all my photos. My scanner has the same problem, and it comes from the fact that a scanner has a fixed focal length on the plane of glass. It is only meant to keep flat things in focus, so anything with dimention will be out of focus. Try some natural window light with your camera, use a close up or macro setting if you have it.

Gina said...

My old scanner was great! And then I got a new one, different brand, and I had the same problem. So I kept it a year and have passed it on to my son, got a new one in the old brand that I knew I liked....same problem. Now I KNOW it doesn't have to be like that since I had a scanner that worked perfectly until it got old and wasn't as compatible with newer technology, but the halo effect still wasn't there when I scanned. I'm really bummed too. My camera does have a macro feature, but that's not necessarily always the best shot.

Bonnie said...

very pretty

Jeanne said...

I was given this tip from an expert photographer a while ago. He built a light colored box, roughly the size of the scanner bed, that was about an inch deep. You place your piece on the glass then this box over the piece. It acts like the lid. I'm sure you could attach different paper backgrounds inside the box as well. Perhaps this would solve the problem. I haven't tried it yet.

John said...

What a great use of color!! beautiful work.
j.

Suztats said...

Your necklace is beautiful, and compliments the focal bead so well.....
no scanner help I'm afraid....

God's Kid said...

About your necklace...WOW! It's stunning! :)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I can understand your frustration when an 'updated' piece of technology doesn't work the same as an older model.

However, I see nothing but perfection in this photo! The black background is just fine (to me) and makes the colors 'pop'. The necklace is gorgeous, and is tatted, as usual, with perfection. You always have the ability to take a vintage pattern and give it a modern twist with beads to give it a WOW factor!

The central clay bead is fabulous and I can see why you admire this artist's work!

I've started working on your 'shuttle' pattern in size 20 so that I can get familiar with it before I attempt size 80!

Carolivy said...

What a simply gorgeous piece! I can see why you had to use this artist's work! You have made a piece that really sets it off nicely.
Hugs
Carol

Unknown said...

Well, I'm oblivious to the scanner problems because I don't own one, but that piece is absolutely gorgeous! WOW! Love your work as always!
~TattingChic ♥

Unknown said...

What beautiful work!

Bree at "Bree's Way" said...

Absolutely Beautiful!!! and the colors are spot on too, just beautiful1 no other words fit except wish it were mine :D

Unknown said...

I have had some luck with my scanner using one of the picture frames that you can get at craft stores that are like a clear box. They come in various sizes,(and have a top and a bottom, so it's kind of a twofer!)so you can usually get one that will cover your scanner bed. Just place it so it covers the bed completely, leave the lid open, and scan as usual. You can either paint the inside to block the light, or put in pretty papers. They are usually about 3/4-1 inch deep, so the scanner light can cast a shadow. I never took the time to try it, but I think it could be made shallower by gluing a thick craft board (or 2)inside before putting in the pretty papers, and eliminate shadows that way. On the plus side of your black background, your work is beautiful, and the black makes it look really striking!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

First: Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Second: Just letting you know I received your e-mail last month but am having computer problems and couldn't reply. I read the great article and am so impressed! Congratulations on ALL your rewards, especially your latest one!

Unknown said...

Beautiful color combinations!